The landmarked space that held the famed Brooklyn steakhouse - which first opened in 1879 and shuttered in 2004 - has been brought back to life by restaurateur St. John Frizell (Fort Defiance). Designated the city’s third-ever interior landmark, the long room remains - decked out with elegant cherry-wood paneling, arched mirrors and glittering chandeliers.
Together with husband-and-wife team: Ben Schneider and chef Sohui Kim of Insa & The Good Fork, they have restored the histroric oyster and chop house to its former glory and guiding it into the 21st century with a menu of elevated classic dishes based on original recipes alongside many throwback dishes - washed down with an old-school cocktail list. Open daily, from 5pm to 11pm.
Old world charm
Roasted bone marrow; she-crab soup made with blue crab, crab roe and sherry; pot pie stuffed with pork shoulder and belly; hen-of-the-woods mushrooms paired with black garlic aioli and pickled chilies and pork shoulder rib roast.