Simpson’s in the Strand first opened its doors in 1828 as a chess club and coffee house before becoming one of London’s most British of restaurants. Simpson’s re-opened after a transformational restoration in 2017, but has been closed since 2020. The next chapter is being overseen by restaurateur Jeremy King - one of several projects including the revival of the former Le Caprice site under the name Arlington, and a New York-inspired “grand café” called the Park.
Described as "London's last grand-dame restaurant" expect "a big-theatre brasserie" to include a main restaurant downstairs, another upstairs, a basement bar, and a private dining room. Expect a reimagined seasonal menu (using British produce) of British fare both traditional and contemporary. Alongside this, the restaurant’s renowned carving trolleys from 1848 to serve the restaurant’s signature aged roast rib of beef tableside.
Meals on wheels, Best of British